Make-A-Wish Eastern North Carolina is currently seeking qualified candidates to fill its Volunteer Coordinator position. The Volunteer Coordinator works closely with the Chapter team to coordinate all aspects of a comprehensive, robust volunteer program. We invite you to review the complete job description (listed below or available on our website) to learn more about the position’s roles, responsibilities and qualification requirements.
SUMMARY JOB DESCRIPTION
The Volunteer Coordinator works closely with the team to coordinate all aspects of a comprehensive volunteer program. This position is responsible for the successful implementation of the overall volunteer program including the following areas: recruitment, on-boarding, training, placement, evaluation, education & engagement, recognition, and reporting for all volunteers and interns. The Volunteer Coordinator also manages the volunteer staffing requirements for both internal and external events, including staffing many of the events personally.
- Recruitment: Recruit volunteers and interns through outreach efforts to achieve Chapter volunteer goals throughout the territory.
- Onboarding: Process all volunteer applications and background checks to ensure compliance with performance standards and policies.
- Training: Develop and conduct training of all volunteers and interns. Develop and distribute volunteer training tools and support materials such as volunteer handbooks and training guides. Schedule and conduct new volunteer training sessions on a regular basis.
- Placement: Work closely with the Mission Delivery and Development teams to identify and support volunteer staffing needs. Manage the assignment of wish granting volunteers to serve on a wish team. Manage volunteer staffing requirements for both internal and external events, including staffing many of the events personally.
- Evaluation: Monitor the progress of each volunteer assignment and address any performance deficiencies.
- Education & Engagement: Develop and conduct refresher training sessions for existing volunteers. Create and implement communication strategies to ensure efficient and effective communication with Chapter volunteers. Publish weekly and monthly volunteer e-newsletters. Update the Chapter’s Volunteer Facebook group and Pinterest page.
- Recognition: Develop and implement a volunteer recognition process.
- Administration & Reporting: With the assistance and guidance of the VP of Mission Delivery, coordinate all administrative aspects of the Volunteer Program. Specific tasks include:
- Ensure that each volunteer annually updates the required compliance paperwork.
- Stay up-to-date on changing performance guidelines and standards.
- Maintain integrity of volunteer data, both electronically in The Raiser’s Edge and hard copy files.
- Track and report volunteer applicant data.
- Assist with preparation of materials and data for Chapter financial and compliance audits as directed.
- Administer all volunteer mailings.
- Develop content and contribute as requested to Chapter monthly reports and newsletters.
JOB SKILLS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Requires ability to use a computer with specific skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and internet navigation.
- Requires ability to work with The Raiser’s Edge database system.
- Requires ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Requires ability to speak publicly to train and recruit volunteers.
- Requires proficient organizational skills.
- Requires ability to work independently and with team and volunteer members.
- Must have a professional demeanor, excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Requires a compassionate and empathetic nature.
- Requires a commitment to and a passion for the mission of Make-A-Wish.
- BA/BS or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Exceptionally high level of attention to detail; high degree of patience and professionalism.
- Proven ability to work with diverse groups of people within and outside of the Chapter positively and effectively interacting with all levels of management, staff, and volunteers. Ability to successfully work in a collaborative, team-oriented organization.
- Ability to handle sensitive information professionally and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to troubleshoot and make sound decisions in response to rapidly-changing situations.
- While not required, the ability to speak Spanish is desired.
- Available to work during Chapter office hours (8:30am – 5:00pm; Monday - Friday) as well as occasional nights and weekends. This position is based in the Chapter office which is located at 3809 Computer Drive in Raleigh, NC.
Applications are being accepted through Thursday, March 8th. Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter in a PDF format to Angeline McInerny, Vice President, Mission Delivery. To ensure that each application is afforded the same opportunity, we do not accept phone calls to discuss open positions. Thank you for respecting this request.