Democracy North Carolina combines research, organizing, public education, and advocacy to increase voter participation and government accountability in North Carolina. We seek a government that is truly “of, by and for” the people. Rather than focus on a single issue, we focus on issues related to the political process itself. We believe that developing a vibrant, multi-racial civic culture will expand the participation and leadership of underrepresented voters in the political process -- and in turn lead to policies “instituted solely for the good of the whole,” as promised by the North Carolina Constitution.
Organizing Assistants are temporary, part-time employees who assist Democracy North Carolina’s Organizers with a range of work duties with an emphasis on organizing and administrative support. This position is based in Fayetteville and work will be focused in the counties of Cumberland, Robeson, Harnett, Bladen, and New Hanover. Organizing Assistants need to be flexible and willing to work in a fast-paced work environment. Strong communication and administrative skills are a must. Organizing Assistants are supervised by one of our Regional Managing Organizers (RMO) and will be evaluated on a consistent basis. There is a 30-day probationary period at the beginning of employment in order to assess work performance.
● Provide support with completion of administrative tasks such as data entry, returning phone calls, and helping to prepare training and other voter education materials.
● Provide support with distribution of voter education materials to local Faith communities and other community-based organizations.
● Assist the RMO in following up with local volunteers and provide needed information and materials.
● Facilitate presentations, represent Democracy NC at meetings or attend events that the RMO is unable to attend across different counties in the Southeast.
● Participate in Democracy NC conference calls as needed.
● Other duties as assigned by the RMO.
Skills and Attributes
● Superior people skills; ability to work within the assigned region.
● Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
● Strong interpersonal communication skills: direct, proactive communication style; ability to ask for support; ability to give and receive constructive feedback from colleagues and supervisor.
● Ability to stay self-organized, multi-task and manage multiple tasks at once.
● Commitment to Democracy NC’s mission and values; ability and willingness to work with diverse groups including people with low-income, people of color, rural and urban people, college students, conservatives, moderates, liberals, LGBTIQ, elected officials, etc.
Democracy North Carolina is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to employment policies and procedures assuring all qualified persons are accorded equal opportunity for employment. We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse groups to apply including, but not limited to African-American, Latina/o, Native American, Asian/Pacific Islander, and LGBTQI persons. We also welcome people from different national origins, religions, ages, & ability status.
Email a cover letter and resume with two references who can speak to your experience, skills and attributes to Manuel Diaz at email@example.com.
Salary: $15.00/hour. Up to 20 hours/week.