The International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) is a global not-for-profit membership organization advancing the understanding, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of thrombotic and bleeding disorders. The Society is dedicated to transformative scientific discoveries and clinical practices, the development of young professionals and the education of physicians, scientists and allied health professionals, wherever they may live. At the ISTH, we initiate and promote: education and outreach initiatives, research activities, scientific meetings, peer-reviewed publications, expert committees and the development of standards allowing a common language and approach to basic and clinical science all over the world. The Society currently serves 5,000 members in 94 countries. Our organization is based in Carrboro, North Carolina, near the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill campus.
The Office Administrator will play an integral role in the customer service and effective office operations of our organization. This positions is responsible for maintaining a positive and friendly organizational image by acting as the first line of contact to visitors, customers, and vendors via in person, online, and telephone communication. The Office Administrator will provide administrative support, lead general communication needs for the organization, including greeting callers/visitors/mail/e-mail and responding accordingly to satisfy customer and ISTH organizational needs. This role will oversee the organization and maintenance of key organizational records. Additionally, the position will provide support with basic financial and accounting activities. This professional is expected to work closely with the Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) and the Finance team, as well as build good relationships with the other Directors and staff, some of whom are remote workers.
The successful candidate will possess amazing organizational skills, a passion for smooth office operations and logistics, and has experience maintaining a positive and efficient office environment. This talented professional will have solid communication skills, with a drive and desire to create efficient and effective office support. In addition, the candidate has the ability to quickly build productive working relationships within ISTH staff as well as ISTH leadership, members and vendors.
General Administrative Support
• Oversees and ensures Office Guidelines and Procedures are implemented and followed and is responsible for updating the guidelines and procedures, as needed
• Phone – answers general inquiry line, answers questions or re-directs as needed
o Manages phone system including ordering new equipment and scheduling technician appointments as needed, updating messages, etc.
• Mail – incoming & outgoing-also includes going to Fed Ex, UPS, post office, etc.
• Procurement - first line for ordering all office supplies, furniture purchases, kitchen supplies, etc. – both on-line and in-store purchases
• IT support – serves as main liaison between outside/contracted IT services and conduit for repairs and purchasing of office technology (hardware and software)
• Oversees office cleaning, maintenance, and other “housekeeping” aspects – emptying dishwasher, trash cans, recycling
• Oversees any office repairs and remodeling; coordinating and scheduling repairs and supervising work
• Oversees birthday lunches/celebrations/yearend celebration/staff retreat and workshop logistics
o Helps organize team lunches or when guest is in the office--order and set up lunch
• Sends out staff meeting notifications and help with setting up staff conference calls
• First contact with outside vendors/visitors to the office, greeting guests (offering coffee/water, making sure drinks and snacks are in conference room, setting up lunches, etc.)
• Supports DFO in administration and support of Office Unit Owners Association
• Assists all departments/teams with administrative duties, etc. on an as needed basis (during crunch times, special projects, etc.)
• Updates Office Policies and Procedures as needed and ensures implementation of them
Records Retention and Management
• Reviews and maintains electronic shared-drive files and paper files. Provides, organization, instruction, and follows up with all departments regarding retention/destruction of documents (on a quarterly or annual basis)
• Provides inventory management, maintenance of inventory/fixed assets records and disposal of capital assets, as required
• Archiving/Library – provides organization of and follow-up with departments regarding retention/destruction, binding journals; maintenance of organizational historical records
• Works with archivist to catalog and preserve key historical documents of ISTH and dispose of other redundant/obsolete materials
Human Resource Support
• Insurance – assists with renewal of organizational insurance policies (with Insurance Broker), e.g., filing out renewal applications—under guidance/supervision of Director of Finance & Operations
• Assists with logistics for HR recruitment/on-boarding (e.g., scheduling candidate interviews, scheduling of DiSC assessment, setting up on-boarding schedule, preparing new office with basic office supplies and welcome gifts, ordering new equipment)
• Supports logistical planning for Staff retreats and trainings
• Provides administrative support for ISTH retirement benefit plan; coordinating appointments for staff with financial advisor, ensuring appropriate annual filings are completed and assisting with individuals joining and leaving the retirement plan
• Sends reminders to staff about upcoming holidays/closed office periods and reminder to update phone and MS Outlook out of office messages
• Acts as first contact for accessing/sharing benefit plan information for staff (e.g., health insurance summary of coverage, FSA and HRA guidance documents)
Finance Department Assistance
• Enters/downloads Merrill Lynch investment transactions in accounting system on a monthly basis
• Follows-up with staff with company credit cards ensuring monthly credit card accountability forms and supporting receipts are submitted. Assist with downloading credit card statements into financial accounting application
• Calls and negotiates with vendors for new or continued services (in consultation with DFO); e.g., annual phone service plan
• Associate’s degree plus vocational training; Bachelor’s degree preferred
• At least 3-5 years of professional experience,
• At least 2 years of previous office administration/management experience
• Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent knowledge of MS Office
• Familiarity and comfort using financial accounting software (e.g., QuickBooks, Intacct) preferred
• Multilingual a plus
• This position is located in the Carrboro, North Carolina office.
• It is a primarily sedentary role and may require some bending, lifting and filing.
• This role will be situated at the front of the office to greet visitors and handle and interactions with the public.
• Part Time – 30 hours per week
• ISTH offers competitive salaries based on the experience and skills of employees. Additionally, ISTH provides a comprehensive benefits package for employees that work 30 hours or more per week. Our benefits includes medical, dental, vision, 403b match, ancillary benefits, access to Flexible Spending Accounts, and generous leave benefits.
Please send your resume and cover letter in attachment form to email@example.com with the subject line, “ISTH Office Administrator”. Only competitive candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the selection process. No phone calls please. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Commensurate with experience.