The AKC Canine Health Foundation is seeking an enthusiastic team member to develop goals and manages strategies for the Foundation’s communications, including online, print and other efforts. Seeks to understand diverse audiences, segmenting communications efforts while working with Foundation staff to establish consistent and clear messaging for the Foundation’s mission, vision and accomplishments, all with the underlying goal to increase charitable giving, and promote the Foundation and CHF brand. Fosters and maintains positive relationships with sponsors, media contacts, the veterinary community and other constituents. Supports the Foundation’s development and scientific programs objectives through collaborative communications initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages and implements the overall communications plan for the Foundation including the content calendar, online and print newsletters, Annual Report, Research Grants Portfolio, podcasts, veterinary/scientific webinars, partner communications, media contacts and other, as needed.
- Manages content and print deadlines for Foundation newsletters. Develops publication schedule with copy deadlines for content; reviews proposed content with Foundation leadership and staff.
- Develops and manages comprehensive lists of relevant media, which includes AKC communications, dog fancy and field publications, veterinary, pet-related and consumer lifestyle media. Fields media inquiries and schedules appropriate staff or board members to address media.
- Develops, implements and monitors innovative social media strategies to complement communications efforts. Including, but not limited to: Pet Cancer Awareness Month; Giving Tuesday, end-of-year fundraising, AKC Match Challenges, tribute campaigns; other special canine health, research and development initiatives.
- Identify news-worthy accomplishments of the Foundation, write content, manage approvals, proofread, edit, and distribute original and effective articles and press releases for targeted distribution in a timely manner, and identify and work with partners, as needed.
- Responsible for writing content, proofreading, and securing web-ready files (if necessary) for specific email campaigns (for news, health and research, and donation solicitation).
- Manage the podcast and webinar program including the scheduling of new recordings, identify veterinarians/researchers in collaboration with the CSO and/or Program Director. Acquire and analyze metrics of viewership and demographics of viewers/listeners.
- Manages content and print deadline of the Annual Report within budget, including developing content, proofreading, working with outside vendors, and with Development, Finance and Programs staff to generate their respective content for compilation.
- Develops new initiatives and builds relationships using necessary and budgeted resources for expanded CHF Website.
- Works in collaboration with Programs Director and Director of Development & Communication to manage CHF website content. Establishes procedures for content management and regular updating of website including canine health, veterinary and scientific content.
- Writes or assigns stories related to CHF-funded studies, impact of CHF-funded studies, health issues and dogs; identifies new resource relationships for dissemination of canine health and disease information to constituents including veterinarians, breeders and the general public.
- Coordinates the creation and delivery of research-related articles for various AKC publications.
- Write press releases, share via social media, or write articles highlighting peer-reviewed publications tracked by Programs Department, and researcher interviews, as appropriate.
- Track, analyze and use metrics to measure return on investment to make decisions on need/effectiveness of paid communications efforts.
- Represent CHF at events and with promotional booth; make general and canine health presentations about the Foundation as necessary.
- Manage the Foundation’s online communications strategy, including social media, email campaigns (solicitation, newsletter, event, webinar release, press releases).
- Work with communications requests from clubs/donors. Know and solicit dog fancy, field, dog show, partner, veterinary, AKC and other dog focused publications. Develop media lists, contact information, schedules, and monitor outcomes, track metrics and return on investment.
- Manages communications and materials for the biennial CHF National Parent Club Canine Health Conference.
- May assist Development staff with research and grant requests to foundations, corporations, government sources, individuals, and public and private agencies.
- Assist with the creation of annual budget for communications with oversight of Director of Development & Communications and CEO; responsible for tracking Communications’ revenues and expenditures within budgetary constraints.
- Inform Director of Development & Communications of and provide analysis of overages.
- Prepare detailed reports for CHF Board meetings, including updated communications plans and metrics, veterinary outreach, and, communications strategies and outcomes.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Please submit an application through the online portal: