About Triangle Literacy Council:
The Triangle Literacy Council (TLC) improves the lives of adults, youth, and families by teaching basic literacy and life skills for economic and social success.
Position: Juvenile Literacy Center (JLC) Program Manager/Instructor – Wake County
Reports to: Director of Juvenile Literacy Programs
The JLC provides direct literacy instruction to youth through a variety of programs, formats and locations. The program serves students and court-involved youth ages 6 to 17. Students who participate in this program receive individualized and/or group instruction to improve their reading, writing and math skills.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Juvenile Literacy Program Manager/Instructor works on behalf of the Triangle Literacy Council (TLC). The primary purpose of the Program Manager/Instructor is to provide instruction to youth and be responsible for the oversight of the JLC program in Wake County.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Case Management/Teaching Duties:
- Plan lessons with the essential components that lead to student achievement.
- Teach individual students and groups with lessons which are aligned to the NC Standard Couse of Study.
- Facilitate student intakes and assessments.
- Create and enforce classroom rules.
- Facilitate parent contacts.
- Oversee maintenance of student, instructor and volunteer tutor data.
- Develop and carry out student retention plans, including parental involvement strategies.
- Implement and monitor Individualized Service Plans with all court involved youth, when applicable
- Administer relevant in-service trainings and evaluations for current instructors and volunteer tutors.
- Provide monthly student progress updates for Court Counselors, schools, parents and all other referral sources when applicable
- Initiate contact with schools/teachers of program participants.
- Provide guidance and support to staff, instructors, trainers, and other volunteers who participate in the development and implementation of the Wake JLC.
- Create and foster new collaborative partnerships with local youth serving agencies.
- Develop and maintain appropriate relationships with human service agencies, schools, governmental departments, colleges and other community organizations.
- Maintain an excellent collaborative relationship with juvenile court staff, Juvenile Crime Prevention Council (JCPC) members, schools, and all referral sources.
- Oversee the recruitment, training and retention of new instructors and volunteers
- Recruit student participants
- Assist with the training and professional development of all JLC staff as needed.
- Develop, maintain and oversee appropriate off-site tutoring locations.
- Facilitate curriculum planning and development according to best practice for working with at-risk and court involved students.
- Assist with program reporting for multiple funders and other organizations.
- Compile and develop new academic resources, and maintain an online resource site for instructors and volunteers.
- Provide Director of Juvenile Literacy Programs with weekly program updates.
- Attend monthly JCPC meetings, if applicable
Program Development and Community Relations:
- Represent the organization and its programs to the community, funders, volunteers and other external constituencies.
- Work closely with other program managers and staff to ensure effective systems to track progress and regularly evaluate program components.
- Enforce safety and behavioral standards and expectations for staff and volunteers.
- Participate in outreach activities that may include communications, events, training, conferences, and/or fundraising.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum of a 4-year degree in education, social work, or an appropriate discipline (Master’s Degree preferred).
- Experience tutoring youth utilizing successful teaching techniques.
- Experience working directly with court involved youth, at-risk students, and families from diverse backgrounds.
- Supervisory and management experience.
- Excellent organizational and supervisory skills.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Knowledge of database management and common computer applications, as well as familiarity with compiling/ developing online learning tools and utilizing web-based resources.
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
Thank you for your interest in working with the Triangle Literacy Council. In order to be considered for this position, applicants should email their resume and cover letter with “Wake County – JLC Program Manager/Instructor” in the subject line to the Director of Juvenile Literacy Programs. Qualified candidates will be contacted via email for follow-up.
The Triangle Literacy Council is an equal opportunity employer.
The Triangle Literacy Council offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits.