Beth El Synagogue seeks Executive Director
Beth El is a Conservative Jewish congregation founded in 1887 that serves the thriving Jewish community of Durham and Chapel Hill, NC. Our new executive director will be joining us at a time of dynamic transition and growth. From 2011 to 2017, our congregation has grown from 295 to 400 households. We will soon break ground on a renovation and expansion of our building after a record-breaking $5.5 million capital campaign. We are seeking an executive leader who thinks proactively, can modernize our operations, will continue to build a vibrant Jewish community and help lead us into the future.
We are located in a region of North Carolina that is home to major universities and health centers, and has an inspiring entrepreneurial spirit, a variety of rich cultural, intellectual and athletic offerings and proximity to renowned beaches and mountains.
What Matters to Us:
• A systems thinker who can co-develop and implement a vision for the future.
• An organizational director who can develop and manage efficient operational strategies.
• A passionate leader who is committed to enhancing our Jewish identity, ritual and programming.
• A disciplined and principled executive who can see both the forest and the trees: managing budgets, strategy, staff and day-to-day issues as they arise.
• A leader who will inspire our administrative team and enable the engagement of our lay leaders.
What May Matter to You:
Beth El welcomes members who have diverse backgrounds, ideas, levels of knowledge, and observance. We are an egalitarian congregation that is a member of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. We include an Orthodox Kehillah affiliated with the Orthodox Union.
Our Expectations of the ED:
• Establish annual and strategic priorities and initiatives in partnership with Beth El’s Rabbi and lay leadership
• Is invigorated by the opportunity to take an organization into its next era
• Develop and implement effective management systems across the organization
• Excel at communicating and interacting with a wide diversity of people
• Lead and supervise Beth El’s administrative team
• Manage the financial and administrative operations of the synagogue
• Develop and maintain effective systems to optimize staff and volunteer efforts
• Work with the Rabbi, Board and lay leadership to establish and implement a holistic vision for a membership experience that is engaging and enriching
• Manage our short-term transition and our newly renovated facility
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required; higher degree a plus
• Demonstrated leadership in successfully managing organizations, communications, people, programs, buildings, contracts, and events
• Significant financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, reporting and management skills
• Ability to utilize and learn financial, communications and database software and web-based technology
For the full job description and more about Beth El, click here.
To Apply: Beth El has hired moss+ross (www.mossandross.com) to manage the search. Submit one document that includes your cover letter and your resume via email to:
Ms. Leslie Winner
Chair, Search Committee
Beth El Congregation
The application deadline is February 19, 2018. The Search Committee will, in its discretion, accept applications until the position is filled.