GOTRANSIT PARTNERS – EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
GoTransit Partners, a new start-up nonprofit affiliated with GoTriangle, is seeking a talented, energetic individual to serve as its first Executive Director. GoTransit Partners was established to conduct fundraising and raise awareness in support of superb public transportation in one of the fast-growing metro areas in the United States – the Research Triangle region of North Carolina. As the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill region continues to expand in population (projected to be more than 2.1 million people by 2040), GoTransit Partners will play a vital role by seeking private resources to complement and leverage the traditional public revenue streams that fund transit. GoTransit Partners will educate the community about the benefits of public transportation and help the counties deliver their ambitious transit plans. Initially, the Executive Director will concentrate his/her work on a major capital campaign for the Durham-Orange Light Rail Transit Project.
The Executive Director will be responsible for the leadership and the general management of GoTransit Partners and will report to the General Counsel of GoTriangle. The Executive Director will be an entrepreneurial and optimistic leader, partnering extensively with internal and external stakeholders to advance the mission of the nonprofit. As its first full-time hire, the Executive Director will also play a formative role in defining the culture, reputation, and strategic direction of GoTransit Partners. The successful candidate will be one who is committed to helping to improve the communities of the Triangle region through better transit.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (BUT NOT LIMITED TO):
Leadership, Administration, and Board of Directors
• Promoting and building support for GoTransit Partners’ mission within the Triangle community.
• Providing strategic leadership for the organization by working with its Board of Directors to establish strategies, plans, policies, and goals.
• Recruiting, leading, and motivating staff as funding becomes available, promoting an ethical and nondiscriminatory workplace environment.
• Cultivating a community-focused and accountable ethos within the organization.
• Collaborating with the Board of Directors to implement strategies, plans, and policies.
• Monitoring progress in achieving organizational goals.
• Aligning resources with the organization’s mission to maximize impact and promoting the organization’s financial stability.
• Building organizational capacity to achieve short- and long-term success.
• Working effectively in a dynamic environment and responding appropriately to changing circumstances and diverse stakeholders.
• Managing consultant contracts.
• Engaging the Board of Directors in fiscal, program, and policy oversight, strategic planning, fundraising and public relations.
• Leading Board development, and keeping the Board of Directors informed of emerging trends and major developments related to the mission of GoTransit Partners.
• Acting as an officer of the organization, adhering to the duties and responsibilities as set forth in the GoTransit Partners’ Bylaws.
• Representing GoTransit Partners before community organizations, businesses, media, government, and potential funding sources, including participation in high-profile community activities, speaking engagements and social events.
• Raising the visibility of GoTransit Partners throughout the Research Triangle region and promoting its activities, programs, and mission.
• Cultivating relationships and partnerships throughout the Research Triangle region.
• Managing communications and marketing strategies for the organization.
Fundraising and Development
• Increasing and sustaining revenue through robust fundraising.
• Overseeing all development and fundraising efforts, including oversight of fundraising consultants.
• Cultivating and maintaining relationships with foundations, donors and corporate sponsors.
• Overseeing the compliance of all contract requirements.
• Creating and implementing annual fundraising plans with the GoTransit Partners’ Board of Directors.
• Developing and maintaining sound financial practices, including proper accounting practices.
• Working with the Board of Directors to prepare annual budget and ensuring that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
• Monitoring the financial health of the organization and its programs and developing plans to ensure that adequate funds are available for the organization to carry out its work.
• Developing and maintaining business practices that ensure the efficient and professional operation of the organization.
Human Resources (as funding becomes available)
• Supervising, supporting, mentoring and motivating a professional staff.
• Providing managers and supervisors with guidance, mentoring and training in effective management practices.
• Ensuring that sound human resource practices and systems are in place.
The ideal candidate is required to have a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four year college, and a minimum of __ years of experience in a management or leadership role, including supervising staff and working with a board of directors. An advanced degree in non-profit management or a related field, and a familiar with public transportation is preferred. Additional expertise should include nonprofit governance and general management experience with a strong understanding of fundraising, finance, budgeting, information systems, and human resources. The candidate will have a successful track record in public and/or private fundraising, and a track record in growing another organization or business by developing staff and organizational capacity. They will have demonstrated a proven ability to work with a governing board to maximize participation and engagement, and a capability in leading the development and implementation of strategic planning initiatives. The candidate should also have experience working with diverse constituencies. Lastly, the candidate should be able to demonstrate excellent public speaking, written and oral communication, listening, and interpersonal skills.
Salary range is TBD and a comprehensive benefits package is offered. EOE.
Qualified applicants can email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls or 3rd party solicitations, please.