The Shepherd's Center of Kernersville, Inc. was established in 1985 as an interfaith ministry of volunteers which champions and sustains adults who are aging or with disabilities.
Opportunity: The Shepherd's Center of Kernersville is seeking an Executive Director who is innovative creative planner who has and can share their passion for working with adults who are aging or with disabilities and the volunteers who serve them. This person should have experience working with a dedicated Board of Directors. The Executive Director should also have strong relationship building skills which can sustain collaborations and funders, and possess exceptional oral and written communications.
Summary: This nonprofit Executive Director acts as the Chief Executive Officer of The Shepherd’s Center of Kernersville and is responsible for the overall management and direction of the organization in accordance with its vision and mission. An increase in program demands is expected; therefore, we seek a leader who is energized by the goal of expanding services and partnerships. The Director works under the general oversight of the Board of Directors and will supervise a staff of five employees. By building on the past success, the Director will build new collaborations and partnerships with major donors, community leaders, and related organizations.
Overview: The Executive Director provides oversight and overall management, planning, vision and leadership for all aspects of The Shepherd’s Center including programs and services, finance, resource development, human resources, communications, and board development. The Director assumes a leadership role in partnering with collaborating businesses, foundations, government officials, other nonprofits, and supporters. The Executive Director works with the Board and Board Committees to establish vision, policies, strategic focus, priorities, and general scope of programs the center will deliver.
• Board of Directors
o Work with Board Leadership – assist with committee assignments, provide prospective new members
o Board meetings – oversee recording, approval, safe keeping of minutes of meetings, track attendance at meetings, provide committee/Board of
Director notices, report updates as needed to Board or Board Committee
o Work with Board annually to establish goals for the coming year
o Prepare Shepherd’s Center of Kernersville package of information for potential new Board Members, with the assistance of the Board President
and/or 1st Vice President conduct orientation, and be available to answer any questions regarding the information provided and how The Shepherd’s
Center Board operates
o Conduct interviews and select new staff members
o Monitor performance of all staff members, provide performance evaluations, maintain personnel files
o Approve vacation and seminar time, track annual attendance
o Pre-approve any vital decisions made at the employee level
o Uphold personnel policies approved by Personnel Committee
• Make sure all documents are kept as required through Document Destruction and Retention Policy
• Handle purchase of large equipment, negotiate contracts, sell of items donated
• Hire janitorial, electrical company, yard maintenance staff, or any other service company for the building and grounds
• Negotiate for Insurance Coverage (Property/Liability/Directors & Officers/Volunteer Insurance) Request certificates of insurance when needed
• Work with Board to develop policies and procedures or amend existing policies
• Work with Accountant regarding Audit/Review
• Approve and sign all check requests, except those for Executive Director’s reimbursement which might be in question, verify expenditures are within
• Review Income/Expense each month prior to Board Meeting and be ready with explanation for any abnormal amounts
• Prepare draft of annual budget to be presented to Finance Committee and Board. Have explanation for any abnormal increases or deletions.
• Monitor when checking accounts are too low or high, and advise Finance Committee if we need to transfer funds, if necessary determine when to
issue check to keep the accounts at the best levels
• Maintain relationships with funders
• Maintain any assets of the company
• Speaking Engagements/meet with community representatives
• Build rapport with and solicit financial and volunteer support from churches and civic clubs
• Attend related community meetings
• Reach out to media resources to increase media coverage regarding The Shepherd’s Center
• Approve all media releases written by other staff, making sure they reflect what The Shepherd’s Center of Kernersville wishes to express
• Maintain a relationship with local businesses, Town officials, and Forsyth County Commissioners
• When individual thank you letters are generated, write a personal note on each one
• Develop a rapport with large and faithful donors by telephoning or meeting with them
• Oversee services provided and make sure they are still appropriate for this community
• Promote ways to recruit and recognize Shepherd’s Center volunteers
• Evaluate services and determine ways to stay ahead of the aging trends
• Work with Board of Directors to evaluate services and develop any new programs determined to be necessary
• Attend conferences or webinars to stay abreast of new tools and software and what other nonprofits are doing
• Review decisions regarding disciplinary action for service recipients.
• Resolution assistance if needed with service recipients and/or volunteers who have issues regarding a service or volunteer experience.
o Donor Retention and New Donors – cultivate donor relationships, identify who could be financial leads in major projects, invite to donate at the next level
o Attend fundraising meetings as needed. Participate with sponsor solicitation. Assist with the day/night of event.
o Work with Director of Development to review grant-makers and determine whether this is the correct fit or not. Review any grant proposals when
submitted and recommend changes or additions if needed.
o In future Capital Campaign, make preparations and assist the Board of Directors
• Actively stay abreast of changing trends in aging, keep leadership skills fresh, understanding non-profit structure and governances through attendance of seminars, researching, reading, and interaction with other non-profit directors.
• Minimum bachelor’s degree
• 5 years of nonprofit experience
• Minimum of 3 years management experience
• Fundraising, communications, and interpersonal skills
• Supervisory, personnel, and financial management background
• Evidence of commitment to human services
This is a fulltime exempt position.
Send your cover letter, resume, and professional references via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. A review of candidates will begin in July 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. The Shepherd's Center of Kernersville, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.