The Early Literacy Coordinator is a member of the Ready for School, Ready for Life (Ready/Ready) team, a backbone organization focused on building an innovative, responsive childhood system in Guilford County, North Carolina. The Ready/Ready team convenes key partners and galvanizes the community to: increase the number of children born healthy; ensure that more infants, toddlers and preschoolers are on track developmentally; and increase the number of children who enter kindergarten ready for school and life success.
The Coordinator is responsible for implementing Guilford County’s early literacy strategic plan, which was developed by a cross-organizational team in 2017. The plan, which addresses gaps and barriers in the current early childhood system, can be found on our website at www.GetReadyGuilford.org.
The Coordinator will be responsible for working with parents and a broad array of agencies and organizations to build a system that is supportive of and supported by families. Indicators of success have been identified in the Early Literacy Strategic plan as follows:
• the percentage of families using effective Active Reading strategies daily with children,
• the percentage of families reporting confidence in ability to prepare children for literacy success,
• the percentage of literacy programs effectively building parents’ skills to promote literacy at home,
• the percentage of children engaged in quality, culturally competent early literacy programming,
• the percentage of formal and informal childcare settings with high-quality, culturally competent early literacy programming aligned with NC Foundations,
• the percentage of adults who see their role in supporting early literacy
The Early Literacy Coordinator will report to the Executive Director and work with local and national partners. With the Executive Director, the Coordinator will identify implementation challenges and develop comprehensive solutions to address them. This is a full-time, three-year grant funded position.
The Early Literacy Coordinator will support the ongoing implementation of the early literacy strategic plan for Guilford County. Key responsibilities include:
Cross-functional Teams Support:
• Provide support to Ready/Ready and its community partners to develop and implement approaches to early literacy for universal services (what every child should get); scale other services based on need of families.
• Work with early literacy/family literacy programs and early childhood programs within Guilford County to ensure those programs have what they need to best support language/communication development for the families they serve.
• Coordinate Active Reading Workshops and monitor fidelity and success measures
• Recruit and train volunteers for Book Brigade and Active Reading to demonstrate the approach with families in targeted settings.
• Implement book collection and distribution plan.
• Work closely with Ready/Ready Project Manager to identify, implement and scale Active Reading strategies and evidence-based programs across Guilford County.
• Work closely with Guilford County Schools and other key community partners to ensure consistency in messaging and approach.
• Support the convening and coordination of training, technical assistance, and coaching/mentoring agencies and programs that work in child care settings and community-based service programs to determine available resources and gaps. Identify what additional supports are needed to address identified gaps. Work with Ready/Ready staff to add to the strategic plan to address.
Data and Monitoring:
• Work closely with the Ready/Ready Impact Manager to collect data about outcomes and track key indicators of success identified in the early literacy strategic plan.
• Conduct regular system scans to understand what is working/not working when it comes to supporting children and families so that each child enters kindergarten with needed language/communication skills.
• Monitor progress of early literacy activities including parent engagement and Active Reading strategies within services and formal and informal child care settings.
• Provide quarterly updates to the Ready/Ready Steering Committee about progress to date.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ADDITIONAL SKILLS SOUGHT
• Bachelor’s degree in related field (Master’s degree preferred) such as public administration, business, communication, liberal arts
• Excellent organizational, communication, and relationship building skills
• Five or more years’ experience working on community-based projects with multiple team members and/or in early literacy programs
• Knowledge of the early childhood system is desirable
• Prior project/program management experience highly desirable
• Ability to work autonomously; and
• Intermediate to advanced skills with Microsoft desktop programs, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and others.
Qualified applicants may send a resume and cover letter by Friday, February 16, 2018 specifying how your unique qualifications and experience match this role by:
Mail: Ready for School, Ready for Life
Attention: Hiring Manager
500 West Friendly Avenue Suite 100
Greensboro, NC 27401
The Partnership for Children of Guilford County (which serves as the employer of Ready for School, Ready for Life staff) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
The salary is based on education and years of experience.