MDC, a nonprofit in Durham, N.C., focused on improving economic mobility and advancing equity in the South, seeks an experienced Director of Communications. MDC enjoys support from national and regional partners in private philanthropy, business, and government. Our vision is a South where all people thrive.
The Director of Communications will drive organizational communications strategy, ensuring that MDC’s research, analysis, and learning are broadly disseminated. With staff and stakeholder input, the Director shapes and projects MDC’s voice and message as part of a highly integrated communications plan. In Year 1, this will involve working with a high-level strategy consultant. The role reports directly to MDC’s President. In addition to strategy, the Director of Communications leads content creation for MDC’s website and social media, edits and disseminates major reports, strengthens MDC’s media relationships, and oversees quality control on external-facing documents and productions. Additional communications support will be provided by program staff members, interns, and consultants in graphic design, copyediting, and other areas as available. The annual salary range is $70,000 – 80,000.
Primary Responsibilities and Expectations
- Shape and drive communications strategy, including digital and legacy media content
- Widely disseminate MDC publications to key audiences
- Integrate communications within all MDC activities, including knowledge dissemination (via reports, briefs, blog posts, presentations) through staff engagement in communications activities
- Set social media strategy and promote staff involvement in designing and executing the strategy
- Develop consistent MDC stakeholder communications
- Create compelling marketing materials in support of fundraising activities
- Amplify messaging for MDC’s public-facing activities
- Ensure that MDC’s website clearly reflects MDC’s activities, impact, and knowledge development
- Elevate MDC’s capacity to graphically represent data and ideas
- Develop strong working relationships with partner organizations and communications outlets
This position will be based in Durham, N.C. The Director of Communications should have a relevant postsecondary credential and/or at least 4-6 years of related experience.
In addition, candidates must have:
- Excellent writing and editing skills in representing the organization to internal and external audiences
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with a broad range of strategic partners, including community organizations, local leaders, media outlets, academic institutions, foundations, and others
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences, including communities where English is spoken as an additional language
- Deep commitment to and understanding of equity generally, and racial equity specifically
- An understanding of the American South
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to track simultaneous deliverables and milestones across multiple projects
- Strong experience shaping digital strategy and designing and managing a complex website
- Significant experience with leveraging social media and other digital platforms to amplify organizational message and brand
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively
- Highly proficient in publishing software, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Office
- Strong knowledge of graphic representation tools
- Experience with CRM systems (e.g., Salsa)
- Prior experience within the nonprofit sector is a plus
Apply at www.mdcinc.org/about/careers/
For more information about MDC, go to www.mdcinc.org and www.stateofthesouth.org. Because MDC staff currently are working remotely, please be sure to send the application package electronically through JazzHR rather than by regular mail. Application materials should include:
(1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) contact information for three references. Deadline for applications is 5:00 PM Eastern Time, on Friday, January 29, 2021. If you require assistance submitting the application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The annual salary range is $70,000 – 80,000.
MDC is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization committed to diversity and equity, it is our policy to provide an equal employment opportunity to all individuals without regard to age, color, race, religion, national origin, disability, military/veteran status, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation or status in any other group, protected by federal or local law or for any other reason. We encourage applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups. Reasonable accommodations are available on request.