The Director of Advancement is committed to and responsible for supporting VBH through leadership, civic engagement and financial support. Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Executive Director, the Director of Advancement will design and execute a comprehensive advancement strategy for VBH. He/She will manage the strategy by employing three primary disciplines:
- Community Engagement
The primary focus of the Advancement Department is the cultivation and stewardship of stakeholders in the VBH mission. By nurturing and facilitating relationships, the Director of Advancement will oversee the effective linking of veterans, members of the military and their families with members of the corporate, foundation and broader community across our region in meaningful ways that will ultimately lead to volunteerism, financial support and improved Veteran services.
Development & Fundraising
- Work alongside Executive Director in developing, implementing and executing strategic fundraising plan.
- Creating and execute a process for grow a large sustained base of annual donors
- Providing leadership and guidance for the Advancement Department personnel (2.5 FTE)
- Planning and administering the department’s annual operating budget.
- Planning, developing and executing strategies for obtaining private donations; identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gift prospects (individuals, corporations and foundations).
- Providing direct oversight of all stewardship activities in recognition of donor philanthropy.
- Monitors grant applications, reporting and prospect research for all foundation and corporate fundraising
- Works with the Board of Directors to execute strategies to meet fundraising goals
- Work with Board, Advisory Board and volunteers on the selection and organization of special events, including working with volunteer committees for planning and execution
- Assumes responsibility for development reports to the Board and attends Board Development Committee Meetings
- Oversees maintenance of local, regional and national business and foundation contacts.
- Provides progress reports for the Executive Director
The Director of Advancement also provides leadership and management of the direction, planning and execution of community building events with local civic groups, corporate employee resource groups, Veteran service organizations and volunteers to increase the social capital of veterans while expanding the stakeholder base of the VBH mission.
- Identify, Plan and resource community wide events to raise awareness of VBH and register unique constituencies.
- Identifying appropriate and effective opportunities to raise awareness of VBH and identify Veterans and community leaders to become VBH stakeholders.
- Following a strategic approach to engagement and branding, connect with, prioritize and triage stakeholders (veterans, employers, providers, volunteers, and Donors) in order to advance the mission of VBH.
- Director of Advancement - Job Description Cont.
- Create and maintain relationships with local, government, corporate and community-based organizations who can assist identifying and assisting veterans in our service area and coordinate partnership opportunities.
- Providing leadership for all external relationship building with a variety of constituencies; working with volunteers and other key community partners to identify
- Exhibits a deep understanding of the concept of volunteerism and its necessity and value to the organization.
- Ensures that the department understands and responds to volunteer challenges; ensures that volunteer leaders have access to the centralized support necessary for them to provide the highest level of service to volunteers.
- Creates cross functional teams and other soft structure systems to encourage groups and individuals to work collaboratively, outside of normal reporting structures.
- Communications & Marketing
- Advance communication objectives that support relationships between the organization and its external constituents – Veterans, Donors, Volunteers, Employers, Partners etc.
- Oversees communications & marketing efforts to ensure core themes and messages are delivered consistently to targeted audiences in a manner that is in keeping with the brand that meets the needs and expectations of specific audiences.
- Creates effective communications plans which steward relationships with VBH’s constituencies by assuring high standards of quality, consistency, and accuracy of all data and messaging.
- Oversees media relations, newsletters, social media, marketing materials and any other related correspondence to support the brand awareness, engagement calendar and growth of the organization.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required, Advanced degree preferred.
- Non-profit fundraising experience, with demonstrated success to plan and execute fundraising efforts.
- Strong leadership, organizational and time management skills with demonstrated supervision of professional level staff with experience motivating and building professional and cohesive teams.
- Strong communication skills including ability to write and speak persuasively about the mission and organization.
- Familiarity with alumni/donor database applications preferred
- Demonstrated senior leadership with strategic, policy, and budget planning experience in complex organizations.
- Prior professional experience in a membership-based organization preferred
- Experience in developing and managing departmental budgets.
- Experience in translating data for use in developing business plans to meet future challenges.
- Demonstrated experience and success in the integration of technology as a critical management tool.
- High level communication and persuasive skills in order to assist in “selling” vision, processes and programs to help increase stakeholder engagement, including reaching and/or expanding into markets not served or are underserved.
- Public Relations and Media Relations
- Excellent platform skills and experience in order to make presentations to internal and external audiences of varied backgrounds and experiences.
- Must have military cultural competency in order to develop and oversee the implementation of communications directed to varied constituencies.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in customer service with high standards of timeliness and responsiveness.
- Demonstrated experience working in a highly collaborative environment where teamwork, collegiality and self-motivation were necessary for success.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends, to travel, and must have a valid driver’s license.
Please submit your resume to Jodi Lich at email@example.com