Dogwood Alliance mobilizes diverse voices to protect the unique forests and communities of the Southern US from destructive industrial logging through grassroots action, holding corporate and government decision-makers accountable, catalyzing large-scale conservation and advancing a 21st-century vision that fully values forests for the myriad ways in which they sustain life. Having transformed the practices of some of the largest corporations in the world, Dogwood is on the leading edge of international, national and regional efforts to advance forest protection in the US South.
The Development Director will lead fundraising efforts for the organization across individual giving, events, business and corporate giving, with an emphasis on cultivating major gifts and building membership. Primary responsibilities include managing and cultivating relationships with existing major gift prospects, assisting primary and secondary fundraisers with their portfolio management, as well as identifying and cultivating new prospects (individuals as well as business sponsors). An ability to empathize with donors and clearly communicate our organization’s mission is key. You’ll be expected to energize team members, persuade prospects, and persevere to meet our 5-year goals for individual, corporate and event income. You will also be expected to implement best practices in fundraising, recommend multi-year strategies, and create and deliver reports to senior management and the board. This position is not responsible for managing Dogwood Alliance’s grant program.
This position reports directly to the Advancement Director while working closely with the Advancement Systems Manager (ASM), Executive Director, Marketing Director, and other Advancement team staff. The Development Director is a full-time, exempt, position, based in the Asheville office or remotely from the Triangle area of North Carolina.
The primary goals of this position are to:
- Provide flexible and strategic multi-year fundraising direction for growing regional non-profit
- Help our donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a deeper relationship with Dogwood Alliance
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist the board and other staff with their solicitations (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications)
- Manage portfolio of ~50 donors and prospects
- Create lucrative and consistent income from events and corporate giving
- Secure regular gifts of $1,000 and more, with an expected growth of 10-20%+ each year in individual fundraising, major giving, event income and corporate giving
Database – 15%
- Input and flag constituent data as needed using Raiser’s Edge NXT platform
- Coordinate with existing primary fundraisers on constituent actions as necessary
- With the Advancement Systems Manager (database manager), create progress reports
Direct Fundraising and Donor Relationship Cultivation and Communication – 70%
- Visit and communicate with individual donors and businesses on a daily basis
- Schedule major prospective donor meetings with staff and board members
- Solicit individual donations and business sponsorships
- Work with marketing, communications and programs to increase base of support
- Create, manage and execute successful events
- Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition
- Manage the publication of quarterly and annual reports to donors
Planning and Management – 15%
- Work with the Advancement department to align efforts and set goals
- Create and carry out moves management plans for existing and prospective major donors
- Coordinate giving appeals with Advancement Department team members
- Conduct monthly and quarterly donor giving update meetings for staff and board
Qualities/Qualifications and Assets
- 5+ years of demonstrated, successful direct fundraising or sales required
- AA/AS degree, BS/BA or higher in business, communications, or related field preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion in all interactions and communications as related to race/ethnicity, class, sexual orientation, gender, age and ability
- Professional database system experience required
- Environmental or other non-profit experience preferred, including volunteer/board work
- Passion for forests, the environment and/or climate justice a must
- Impeccable ethics and professionalism
- Excellent oral, written and listening skills
- Ability to strategize and create comprehensive, detailed plans
- Punctual and attendant to detail
- Outgoing and personable
- Proficiency with creating spreadsheets and reports
- Comfortable working with a team as well as independently
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Dedication to professional and personal development
- Work based in Asheville, NC, is preferred; however, consideration will be given for remote work from the Triangle area of NC (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill)
This position requires frequent regional and some national travel. Some weekend work required. Strong candidates will be able to show the ability to work remotely and manage flexible schedules. Dogwood supports a life/work balance and offers the opportunity for full-time, salaried positions to flex hours as needed.
The Development Director is a full-time, exempt, position, based in the Asheville office or remotely from the Triangle area of North Carolina. Includes a competitive salary based on experience, a benefits package including 100% employer paid health insurance premiums and generous paid time off. Position open until filled.
We value and respect all types of diversity and strongly encourage applicants from traditionally marginalized groups to apply. We prohibit discrimination and harassment and provide equal employment opportunity without regard to, and not limited to, ethnicity, religion, race, national origin, abilities, gender identity, age or genetic information. We are committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting those from minority and disadvantaged groups. We want to live in a world that recognizes the inherent strengths that come from different viewpoints, backgrounds, cultures, and experiences. As a team, we have taken on a commitment to examining our unconscious biases and want to work towards an equitable, peaceful and just world.
Why do you want to work for Dogwood Alliance?
What is your understanding of the position?
What experience do you have that makes you a good fit for this position?