Democracy North Carolina combines research, organizing, public education, and advocacy to increase voter participation and government accountability in North Carolina. We seek a government that is truly “of, by and for” the people. Rather than focus on a single issue, we focus on issues related to the political process itself. We believe that developing a vibrant, multi-racial civic culture will expand the participation and leadership of underrepresented voters in the political process -- and in turn lead to policies “instituted solely for the good of the whole,” as promised by the North Carolina Constitution.
The Development Associate provides support to meet annual fundraising goals. The position combines donor communications and coordination with the operational requirements of an electronic fundraising database. The person in this role works closely with the Development Director and Individual and Major Giving Manager to implement a development reporting plan and works cooperatively with all staff to ensure efficient completion of assigned responsibilities and tasks. The position involves administrative work, fundraising activity, and database management. Additionally, the Development Associate is directly involved in special events logistics and implementation.
Donor Database Management – 60%
● Serve as in-house donor database expert, develop consistent systems and share responsibility with other organizational teams for database content and outputs; troubleshoot technical questions
● Routinely and accurately enter gift and other data; develop and maintain best practices to ensure consistency in all areas of database management and data accuracy
● Prepare responses to queries, reports and materials for staff and board/committee meetings
● Manage information from online giving systems, assuring that donor gifts are properly acknowledged
● Maintain donor records and accurate information regarding communications with donors
● Finalize the development of a guide for departmental practices and policies relating to database use; provide ongoing updates
Donor Communication and Fundraising Activity - 20%
● Prepare acknowledgements and other communications and ensure quality and accuracy
● Communicate with donors regarding financial transaction management/credit cards
● Grow the monthly Sustaining Donor program using database tools
● Support the Development department in new and creative ways to engage donors
Special Event Management – 10%
● Work with the Director of Development and others to ensure successful events, assuming major responsibility for event details, logistics, and “day of” volunteer management
● Assure details regarding event components are documented in donor database
● Assist with post-event follow up including reporting on revenue, donor engagement, new donor acquisition; providing support for donor engagement activities, mailings, and new donor stewardship
Miscellaneous - 10%
● Maintain the organization of the Development Drive
● Assist the Development department with other tasks as needed
Experience and Qualifications
● Minimum 2 years of nonprofit (c3) fundraising or related experience
● Competency in EveryAction or other complex database systems (required)
● Competency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive, and social media channels (required)
● Experience developing strong, respectful relationships with co-workers and supporters
● Experience communicating with diverse stakeholders in a variety of formats (written, email, face-to-face).
Skills and Attributes
● Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
● Strong organizational skills and high-level attention to detail
● Ability to self-motivate, work with both close direction and independently, function well as a team member, and know when to seek guidance or get help
● Ability to maintain confidentiality, and respect rules, policies and practices
● Willingness and ability to work some evenings and weekends; events may require travel and additional time; long hours can be expected at year-end and into January when giving and importance of timely acknowledgements peak
● Ability to communicate effectively about the organization’s mission, vision, priorities, and issues
● Deep commitment to participatory democracy and racial, social, and economic justice
● Sense of humor
Email cover letter, resume, and list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put Development Associate and your Name in the subject line. No phone calls please.
This is a FULL-TIME, TEMPORARY position. $23,000 to $27,000 for approximately 6 months through February 28,2021, depending on experience. There may be an option for renewal based on performance and organization resources. Full benefits including paid time off, medical, dental, vision, life, and AD&D insurance and a retirement plan.