This position is to serve as the primary contact for the public for all shelter operations. This includes processing adoptions and redemptions as well as providing animal education and outreach.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide an accurate inventory of animals within the shelter before each business day
· Check the general voicemail and adopt email daily
· Answer phones before and during open hours
· Responsible for the entire adoption process including but not limited to; reviewing adoption applications, communicating with potential adopters ,arranging visitations and filling out paperwork
· Provide counseling and education for the public including general care information, any known history on APS animals, information on acclimating an animal to a new home, training advice, potential health and behavior issues, and responsible pet ownership.
· Assist the public with redeeming their pet from the shelter, including arranging viewing of the stray animals and discussing redemption paperwork and fees.
· Review lost and found requests for the APS website.
· Complete data entry and updates into Chameleon software for accurate inventory and statistics
· Record, organize and file impoundment, application, medical and contract paperwork.
· Collect and record money for both County and APS transactions.
· Provide assistance for Durham residents needing help with their animals. This includes spay/neuter, medical care, financial assistance and other APS resources as needed.
· Coordinate with other departments and management to accomplish APS goals.
· Ability to work every Saturday.
Qualifications & Skills:
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Exceptional and compassionate customer service
· Knowledge of positive training techniques
· Knowledge of common medical and behavioral issues for animals
· Knowledge of shelter standards of care
· Proficient in Microsoft Office and Chameleon software
· Ability to remain calm in often highly emotional and stressful situations involving the public
Education & Experience
· High School Diploma
· Previous customer service as well as animal shelter experience highly desired
· Bilingual preferred
To apply please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line. No phone calls please.