This grassroots organizing position includes outreach to generate leads, and a wide variety membership engagement activities, including one-on-ones, on-going membership meetings, a full engagement plan for activists, leadership development, and other tactics geared towards building a thriving base and developed leaders.
Organizers will be responsible for engagement, activation and retention of new members, developing a team of leaders, and executing campaign strategy. The responsibilities of the organizer include but are not limited to:
● Time in the field generating leads and aggressively following up with leads generated by other efforts including one-on-one meetings to build strong relationships, and identify and develop leaders along a clear ladder of engagement model.
● Managing regular membership meetings with a standing agenda, and supporting new leaders to grow the organization through peer engagement and activation.
● Creating actions, trainings and mobilization opportunities for members and activists to develop skills and get results on issues they care about.
● Tracking engagement of members and activists who participate in meetings, events and actions in Database.
● Developing the political consciousness and sophistication of Action NC leaders through popular education, reflection, and skills and political trainings.
Action NC’s mission is to promote racial, gender and economic justice through grassroots organizing and empowerment. We organize poor and working-income communities and constituencies full of talented and committed people looking for an opportunity to work together to build a stronger and more equitable future. We reach out to them in a variety of ways to offer an opportunity to organize, fight back, and win.
Action NC is working with its national partner organization, the Center for Popular Democracy, to build and deploy a broader and deeper organizing infrastructure. Through coordination, sustained growth and accountability, the goal of this program is to sustainably grow issue campaigns and voter participation among our membership and constituency. This partnership will enable Action NC to run effective organizing campaigns at greater scale, and strengthen local grassroots power.
To be successful, the organizer must have a commitment to social justice, and a belief that those directly affected by issues in society must be on the frontline of changing them. Organizing is a practice, and the organizers we hire must be dedicated to all aspects of it to be successful – recruitment, leadership development, mobilization and reflection.
Candidates should have a demonstrated commitment to taking action for racial, gender and economic justice. Experience with or understanding of issues faced by low and working-income communities is preferred. This position requires an ability to communicate with a wide variety of people, think strategically, and make decisions that build civic engagement and political power.
Bilingual English and Spanish is a plus, and a driver’s license with access to a vehicle is preferred.
Location: Two positions are available; one based in our Charlotte office, and one based in Durham office.
Start date: Ability to start by February 26 strongly preferred
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Organizer” and the city in which you would like to work (Durham or Charlotte) in the subject line.
Action NC values the diverse perspectives and experiences that candidates bring. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.