Located in a historically marginalized neighborhood of Northeast Central Durham, SEEDS develops the capacity of young people to respect life, the earth, and each other through growing, cooking, and sharing food. In our two-acre garden and kitchen classroom, SEEDS wants its young people, ages 5-17, to develop an understanding of how food sustains us in life and good health, respect for land and environment, and with leadership skills through serving the community.
About the Position
The Communications and Development Coordinator is responsible for all of SEEDS’ public-facing and externally focused communications, including crafting of messaging and fundraising communications. He/she reports to the Executive Director.
Responsible for all communications, including the development of:
- A comprehensive marketing and outreach plan to increase awareness of SEEDS programs.
- An email marketing strategy that increases our newsletter list and engagement.
- Sending an informative, engaging newsletter every 2-4 weeks, or as needed.
- A social media plan that boosts our following and engagement online and bolsters our positive, outward-facing image.
- Website improvements and maintenance to ensure a professional online presence and clarity around our mission and work.
- Designing digital and printed materials for programs and fundraising efforts.
- Telling SEEDS’ story on our blog and website with creative and compelling content.
This position will assist the Executive Director in annual fundraising events, writing grant reports, management of grant funds, developing a strategic fundraising plan, and cultivating major donors. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a yearlong calendar of fundraising events and expectations.
- Managing donor database (Salesforce). Writing and sending thank-you notes and tax receipts for donations.
- Increasing donations from volunteers, particularly through workplace giving initiatives.
- Writing and publishing the Annual Report.
- Assisting in identifying grant opportunities and grant management. Editing and writing grants.
- Creating content for and designing fundraising mailers and campaigns (Examples include: Fall Appeal, Spring Appeal, Year-End Campaign).
- Cultivating Harvest Dinner sponsors and other special sponsorships.
- Nurturing existing donors and cultivating new donors.
- Meeting fundraising goals.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
We seek a Communications and Development Coordinator who is inspired by our mission with excellent people skills. Dedication to the long-term success and impact of SEEDS is required. An outstanding candidate should bring excitement and enthusiasm for building a better future.
Ideally, a candidate will have previous experience with WordPress, SalesForce, grant management, grant writing, cultivating new donors, community engagement techniques, and project management.
The Communications and Development Coordinator may be required to stand and walk for long periods of time, to bend at the knees and hips and to lift at least 30 pounds overhead. Occasional tours of the building and garden may be required for donors and funders.
This is a full-time position (40 hours/week) with a Monday-Friday work week. Typical hours of operation are 9:00am-5:00pm with weekend and evening hours when needed, though work hours can be flexible.
Please submit a cover letter and resume with three references to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture and encourage applications from all interested persons, including, but not limited to, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals.