Southeast Raleigh Promise
Position Announcement: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Located in Raleigh, NC
The vision of Southeast Raleigh Promise (SERP) is to break the cycle of intergenerational poverty for residents living within the Rock Quarry Road Corridor (RQRC zone) in Southeast Raleigh, NC. This vision will be achieved by delivering key investments in the areas of Education, Housing, Health & Wellness, Economic Opportunity, and Leadership Development.
SERP was created for the purpose of providing strategic investment and support to residents and partners in our community. Recognizing that our community could not be successful without strategic, equitable, partnership-oriented investment in all the neighborhoods of Raleigh, a group of community leaders came together to explore place-based and collective impact models, including the Purpose Built Communities (PBM) model. In late 2015, partnering with a few initial foundations, non-profits, and community leaders, Southeast Raleigh Promise was formed to refine the vision and lead the work necessary to move the vision to reality.
In 2016, Southeast Raleigh Promise joined the Purpose Built Communities Network, which includes similar neighborhood revitalization efforts in cities across the country. The Purpose Built Communities proven model is a coordinated holistic approach to neighborhood revitalization, based on quality and focused on sustainability.
The Leadership Opportunity
Southeast Raleigh Promise seeks a visionary, strategic leader with successful and demonstrated experience in operational, financial, and programmatic management, resource development and strategic planning in a multifaceted organization.
The CEO reports directly to the Board of Directors and manages critically important partnership relationships with community organizations, The YMCA of the Triangle, Wake County Public Schools, DHIC, and key philanthropic funders. SERP builds relationships across all sectors of our local community to develop and implement high-quality, research-based, innovative strategies that enhance the quality of life for people, specifically children and their adult caregivers, in Southeast Raleigh.
The CEO is responsible for the overall management and operations of SERP, guiding future growth with strategy, vision, and operational structure. She/He will drive staff and budgetary resources to implement programs and policies. The CEO is the primary spokesperson, advocate, and face of the organization in the community.
Board engagement to set the direction for SERP. Meeting regularly with the Board of Directors to provide timely and transparent updates on progress and accomplishments and seeking professional guidance from the board regarding relevant issues to advance strategic direction and priorities.
Building organizational capacity to deliver outcomes. Developing strategic plans; building out the administrative, financial, and operational management functions; apply sound and proven business practices, policies, and internal controls.
Leading and fostering a strong staff team. Creates a staff culture built on candor, performance measurement, innovation and fun. Will recruit, train and lead staff appropriately and strengthen internal systems and communication.
Growing strong partner relationships. Engaging community partnerships, building relationships with organizations whose work is complementary to create a shared agenda and expand impact.
Serving as primary spokesperson and champion. Excellent written and oral communication skills, comfortable with public speaking, media engagement, local outreach, and confidence with all forms of communications.
Leading resource development and fundraising. Demonstrated success in setting financial objectives and expanding resource development to meet fundraising goals with diversified funding streams and significant investments in SERP’s future.
Working with policymakers. Working with members of the Wake County Commissioners, Raleigh City Council and other policymakers, as necessary, to champion initiatives that break the cycle of intergenerational poverty for residents living in Southeast Raleigh, NC.
Developing research and data to support policy and program changes. Coordinating with research-based organizations as well as strategic partners to obtain data and research to support policy and program changes that will improve Education, Housing, Health & Wellness, Economic Opportunity, & Leadership Development.
• A personal passion for SERP’s mission, values, and vision.
• Proven track record in the management of complex organizations and relationships.
• Strong financial and business background; ability to read, understand and manage complex financial statements and budgets.
• Effective interpersonal and presentation skills and a self-starter.
• Excellent communication skills, including written skills.
• A team builder within the organization and with the partners and constituents in the community.
• Able to lead and motivate employees, partners, and other constituents.
• Creative and demonstrates the ability to own projects and responsibilities.
• Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships with multiple internal and external constituencies.
• Able to work effectively with individuals and organizations in the public, private and independent sectors.
• Nimble, flexible, and adaptable.
• A solid work ethic with energy, enthusiasm, and optimism.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team and with people of diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks at any one time.
• Solution-oriented approach to challenges.
• Firm sense of mission and a desire to work with children and families living in poverty.
Attributes of the New Leader
• Bachelor’s degree; Master’s in business, non-profit administration, public policy, or law degree preferred.
• At least ten years of progressively responsible positions in housing and/or community development, business, or public administration.
• Demonstrated knowledge of nonprofit governance with significance experience interfacing with governing boards.
• Strong leadership and management skills that have influenced an organizational culture through the development and implementation of strategic initiatives.
• A commitment to the Purpose-Built Communities model.
Armstrong McGuire & Associates, based in Raleigh, NC, is conducting this search in partnership with SERP’s Board of Directors. To apply, click on the link to the CEO position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. You will see instructions for uploading your cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered. The deadline for applications is 5:00 PM, May 15, 2021.
In case of any technical problems, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or through third-party sites.
SERP is committed to an equitable and inclusive Raleigh and encourages people who share that commitment to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from people of all races, genders, religions, ethnicities, nationalities, and sexual orientation.
Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with executive professional experience.