Over 6000 people who are homeless and impoverished receive services from UMD each year. Each day, 300-400 people who have a diverse level of complex needs come to UMD seeking assistance. As a result, the UMD campus is a very busy place where stress and trauma must be managed daily, yet where compassion and support for one another is found in abundance. In addition to residents served, there are over 6,000 volunteers, donors and staff members from partnering agencies who also come to UMD to participate in the life of the agency. The Cafe Manager will manage the day-to-day operations of UMD’s Community Cafe, work in partnership with the Finance Director and Workforce Development Manager, in the daily operation of the workforce development activities that use UMD facilities as a training environment, ensuring that assignments are carried out with consistent and fair policies and in an environment that is safe, functional and dignified for participants, staff and visitors. The Cafe Manager will keep UMD’s core values of respect, accountability and collaboration in the forefront and help them to be reflected in the daily life of the organization. The Cafe Manager will be a team player and will work closely with the Finance Director, Community Engagement Director and Clinical Director.
Reports to: Finance Director
Supervisory Responsibility: Assistance Cafe Manager, Café Cooks, Café Volunteers & Community Service Workers.
Food Service Operations:
Serves under the direction of the Finance Director, responsible for day to day management of the Urban Ministries of Durham Community Café planning and preparing meals, managing inventory of kitchen and cleaning supplies, scheduling equipment repair and maintenance, scheduling of staff and resident shifts, instruction of staff, residents and volunteers on how to properly and safely use the kitchen equipment, enforcement of sanitary food handling methods and of kitchen use policies and procedures.
Cafe Manager Program Duties:
• The Café Manager (CM) is responsible for the planning, preparation and serving of daily breakfast and lunch meals, and will also be responsible for overseeing evening meals not provided by outside groups.
• Provide and maintain professional, comfortable, safe, and appropriate work environment for all staff, volunteers and UMD residents working in or around the Café operation.
• The CM will monitor staff and volunteer compliance to kitchen use policies and procedures and maintain relevant records to meet all federal, state, and local codes.
• The CM will create and maintain kitchen logs including but not limited to: temperature, hold/cold, cooling, waste, cleaning, small ware inventory.
• The CM will also assist with training and development of resident trainees.
• Specific training examples include the operation and management of all equipment, facility, utility and serve safe curriculum.
• CM will maintain a high level of organization and cleanliness in accordance to city, state and federal requirements for commercial kitchen facilities.
• Manage relationships between service providers, partners, and contractors.
• Schedule refresher courses for staff, volunteers and resident trainees on proper food safety and sanitation practices.
• Assist with one-on-one and group training to workforce participants.
• Train employees and volunteers on kitchen safety, rules, regulations, and sanitation.
• Provide hands-on technical assistance for catering jobs and events.
• Attend staff meetings and special events as required
• Understand, acknowledge, and abide by all policies governing UMD staff conduct
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor or Associate Degree in Culinary Management or equivalent experience.
• A minimum of 3 years professional kitchen experience/training and/or food service teaching experience is required.
• Three years progressive supervisory experience with strong communication, team building and conflict mediation skills is highly preferred.
• Familiarity in Plan Review Process with ability to write SOPs and knowledge of health and sanitation regulations. Possess or have the ability to successfully obtain certifications such as ServSafe and others as required
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Comfortable making group presentations.
• Highly organized with excellent time and space management skills.
• Proficient in MS Excel, Word.
• Must be able to work some non-traditional hours including evenings and weekends.
• Be able to lift 50 lbs.
• Requires ability to walk, bend, stand, and climb stairs.
Benefits that include: Employee medical & dental, 403b retirement plan, 10 vacation days and 10 holidays.
To Apply Send
• Cover letter
• List of three references (including at least one prior supervisor) to:
Café Manager UMD
PO Box 249
Durham, NC 27702