Opportunity: Kidznotes seeks an Artistic Director to cultivate and implement the artistic vision of a thriving arts organization through an unwavering commitment to the fundamentals of El Sistema and a thorough knowledge of music pedagogy. The Artistic Director delivers this vision through management of a passionate, high-performing team of teaching artists and administrators. This is a full time position reporting directly to the Executive Director.
Kidznotes is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization that changes lives through ever expanding participation in youth orchestras, bands, and choirs. Kidznotes is inspired by El Sistema, Venezuela’s world-renowned National System of Children and Youth Orchestras established in 1975, which has transformed the lives of over two million children from impoverished circumstances in Venezuela. Kidznotes was founded in Durham, North Carolina in 2009. In the 2017-18 school year, Kidznotes enrolled 450 public school students in grades Pre-K – 10, partnering with ten Title 1 elementary schools in Raleigh and Durham. Kidznotes provides full scholarships for each student, 10 hours of orchestral training each week, an instrument of their own, lessons in music theory and literacy, and opportunities throughout the year to excel and perform.
A successful Artistic Director is responsible for:
● Developing and implementing an ambitious Artistic Vision for Kidznotes based upon the organization’s strategic plan and the fundamentals of El Sistema
● Managing a high performing team of administrators and teaching artists
● Creating and stewarding formal relationships with partner artistic organizations
● Ensuring rigorous and developmentally appropriate instruction through observation, feedback, modeling, and professional development of teaching artists.
● Working in partnership with Program Director to execute public and private performances by all Kidznotes ensembles
● Assisting finance staff and ED in preparing and managing program budget
● Supporting development staff in the creation of a culture of philanthropy at all levels of the organization
● Ensuring a very safe and very charged nucleo culture and environment
● Selecting appropriate orchestral and choral repertoire for students at all levels and abilities
● Experience in an arts leadership position with demonstrated success as a manager and instructor
● Ability to thrive in a fast–paced work environment and able to manage multiple priorities
● Team player and builder, with excellent interpersonal oral and written communication skills, and public speaking experience
● Creative intellect, a strong work ethic, and a good sense of humor
● Willingness to work evenings and weekends
● Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds
● Master’s Degree in Education or comparable classroom education experience
● Spanish Language proficiency preferred
Please submit cover letter, résumé, and references to Nick Malinowski, Kidznotes Executive Director, at email@example.com by February 25, 2018.
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.