Dogwood Alliance mobilizes diverse voices to protect the unique forests and communities of the Southern US from destructive industrial logging through grassroots action, holding corporate and government decision-makers accountable, catalyzing large-scale conservation and advancing a 21st-century vision that fully values forests for the myriad ways in which they sustain life. Having transformed the practices of some of the largest corporations in the world, Dogwood is on the leading edge of international, national and regional efforts to advance forest protection in the US South.
The Advancement Systems Manager (ASM) works to manage a system of complex databases which are integral to ensuring the overall success of Dogwood Alliance’s donor and community engagement efforts and reaching short-term and long-term financial and programmatic goals. This position requires a high degree of professionalism, integrity, analytic and organizational skills as well as interpersonal skills. The ASM must be able to input and interpret data, run reports, make strategic recommendations based on report data, work with high-functioning, cross-departmental teams, manage sophisticated engagement calendars and communicate with donors and community members. The ASM must have experience working with database systems in a variety of functions.
This is a management-level position requiring the ability to oversee both individual databases and the database system as a whole, ensure accuracy and integrity when working with and communicating confidential information, and make strategic management recommendations regarding organizational policies and procedures. This position reports directly to the Advancement Director while working closely with the Marketing Director and the Development Director, and other communications, fundraising, operations, and campaign staff. The Advancement Systems Manager is a full-time, exempt, position, based in the Asheville office or remotely from the Triangle area of North Carolina.
Database Management – 30-40% (10.5-14 hours/week)
- Input, deduplicate and flag data as needed
- Manage technical issues, database functionality, optimization and effectiveness
- Institute tracking systems and flow for donors, volunteers and action takers
- Create actions using WordPress and scheduling/tracking through Luminate
- Program database notifications and communicate notifications and follow-up action(s) to appropriate staff across the organization
- Manage NXT portfolios for Dogwood staff
- Compile frequent reports and screenings, analyze data and make recommendations
- Train new and existing staff on systems and best practices on a regular basis
- Liaise with database and Board of Directors Advancement Committee: training board members and inputting data as necessary
- Support/manage the Forest Defender membership program
- Support list share buys and import new constituents
- Create online donation pages and accompanied acknowledgment pieces
- Research and make recommendations on acquiring and using new database technology as needed
Communications and Events – 40-50% (14-17.5 hours/week)
- Collaborate with Advancement Director to maintain donor engagement calendar for communications
- Manage logistics around donor mailings and e-appeals
- Draft and/or initiate written advancement department communications
- Manage email calendar
- Segment targets and format e-blasts and e-actions, import information and report on results.
- Manage new constituents with Programs – import mailing lists and event attendees, create and send Welcome series
- Create and send the monthly e-newsletter
- Create event rsvp forms and process event registrations
Donation Processing – 7-10% (2.5-3.5 hours/week)
- Input gifts into database
- Generate receipts/thank you letters
- Prepare weekly bank deposits
- Reconcile the database with QuickBooks on a monthly basis
Grants Management Assistance – 7-10% (2.5-3.5 hours/week)
- Calendar management in conjunction with grants team
- Uploading grant material to portals as needed; processing grant agreements and income
- 2 years of professional database system experience required; experience in the following databases: Raiser’s Edge, NXT, Luminate Online, ResearchPoint, and MeltWater preferred
- Experience with WordPress preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion in all interactions and communications as related to race/ethnicity, class, sexual orientation, gender, age and ability
- 2 years of customer service, public relations or technical assistance services preferred
- AA/AS degree, BS/BA or higher in business, communications, statistics, computer science/programming, math or related field preferred
- Campaign organization experienced preferred
- Impeccable ethics and professionalism
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Proficiency with creating spreadsheets and reports
- Familiarity with confidentiality policies
- Strong attention to detail
- Comfortable working with a team and independently
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Dedication to professional and personal development
The Advancement Systems Manager is a full-time, exempt, position, based in the Asheville office or remotely from the Triangle area of North Carolina. Includes a competitive salary based on experience, a benefits package including 100% employer paid health insurance premiums and generous paid time off. Position open until filled.
We value and respect all types of diversity and strongly encourage applicants from traditionally marginalized groups to apply. We prohibit discrimination and harassment and provide equal employment opportunity without regard to, and not limited to, ethnicity, religion, race, national origin, abilities, gender identity, age or genetic information. We are committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting those from minority and disadvantaged groups. We want to live in a world that recognizes the inherent strengths that come from different viewpoints, backgrounds, cultures, and experiences. As a team, we have taken on a commitment to examining our unconscious biases and want to work towards an equitable, peaceful and just world.
Why do you want to work for Dogwood Alliance?
What is your understanding of the position?
What experience do you have that makes you a good fit for this position?